Antioch Baptist Church was originally named Union Hill Baptist. It was organized on April 28th, 1858. Elders John Robertson, L.F. Dawson and Nathan York played key roles in the organization of the church along with 10 other men and 11 women. Elder Nathan York was elected pastor. They met in the homes of the members for over a year. On September 15th, 1859, the church moved to a meeting house on Dobson Road and joined the Yadkin Association. The church is now a member of the Surry Baptist Association and is now located on Highway 89 in Mount Airy. It moved to the current location on September 5th, 1876 and changed the name of the church from Union Hill to Antioch. Antioch celebrated 150 years in 2008. There have been many pastors over the years. Along with those who have served here, several have also been ordained into the gospel ministry: W.H. Beamer, R.H. Herring, J.L. Vipperman, Hobert Johnson, Clarence Hill, Lonnie Gunter, Bill Horton, and David Gantt. Along with the ministers that have been produced from Antioch, Antioch’s charter members have played a vital part in organizing other churches: Mt. Airy First, New Bethel, Pine Ridge, and Calvary Churches.
Our Senior Pastor is the Rev. Grant Atkins. He was called to Antioch in January of 2017 and began his ministry in February. We are excited to have him and his lovely family with us at Antioch as we serve the Lord together. Our Minister of Youth and Education is the Rev. Joshua Summerlin. He came to Antioch in June of 2013 and is building the Youth Ministry and the Educational Programs of the church.